Thursday, October 27, 2005

My Run-In With A Prophet

What do you do when you're confronted by a man who claims to be a prophet?

It's a relatively new experience for me. I'd never met anyone who claimed to be a prophet. Not anyone that was serious, anyway. Is it possible he could have been one? Who am I to tell him he wasn't? That's a pretty bold statement and one I wasn't ready to challenge.

He said some pretty deep stuff while he was in there, mostly talking about how hating someone causes you to relive that person's history. Then, he talked about how your child comes out to be the same sex as the person you hate. Then, he brought up how the anger that's directed at the person that's being hated is actually directed at others. Basically, when someone says something negative about you, those words are actually directed at the person that they hate, which apparently, is what "forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do" means. They don't realize what they've done so if someone has done you wrong, basically you should forgive them because it's probably not directed at you.

That struck me because I've been done wrong by someone for no apparent reason. I decided not to deal with that person anymore. Should I go back and talk to that person? Should I forgive him for his transgressions against me? Does he really hate someone else and I was just caught in the crossfire?

Well, I haven't gone to talk to him yet, and I'm not fully convinced that the man was a prophet. I could be wrong, though. The guy was about 6 feet tall and about 300 pounds of stomach. He was bald on top, had a kinda crazy look in his eyes and was slobbering a little bit when he talked. He had bad breath. When he left, I caught a glimpse of his plumber's crack. Not exactly the image of a prophet, I'd say. Then again, the prophet story has popped up periodically throughout time, where the wise man or prophet was disguised as a fool or bum or something along those lines. Not calling that man a fool or bum, he just looked...unlikely. But maybe it's not his outward shell that should be getting the attention, but his words. They certainly seemed to apply to my life. Maybe I really was talking to someone who had a direct line with God. Maybe I should start going to church and reading the Bible. Maybe there was more to this Christianity thing than I initially realized.

Or maybe the guy was just a drunken fool with a glazed over look in his eyes and I should have called the cops because this guy was behind the wheel of an 18-wheeler. I let this guy continue to run free on America's highways.

I guess I'll find out another day and hopefully I won't be watching the news when I do. To any cops out there: It's gonna take about four of you to bring that guy down. And some horse tranquilizers.

No comments: