Saturday, February 18, 2006

The NBAs 60 Greatest Players

Okay, so I'm looking at TNT right now and they're picking the next 10 to add to the NBAs 50 Greatest Players. The official list done by the NBA back in 1996 was pretty controversial in itself. In my mind, I thought the whole list was a sham because Shaquille O'Neal made the list and Dominique Wilkins didn't. People thought I was a hater at the time because I thought Shaq shouldn't have made it. And I'll argue anyone into the ground, through the crust, and down into the pits of Hell that Shaq shouldn't have been on that list. Even if Dominique STILL didn't make it, Shaq shouldn't have been on it. I would get into it, but that's not why I started this today. Aw, hell...I'll do it anyway. To bottom line all this, Shaq wasn't a great center yet. All he did was go to the low block and dunk. That's it. Fuck you and him if you disagree. If they made this list today, Shaq would be on it, though. And I'll argue anyone back through hell and into China on that point.

Anyway, what set me off on this tangent was just the suggestion that Gary Payton deserves to be added to the next 10. He'll probably be a Hall-of-Famer. Sure. That's fine. But to me, Gary Payton...I mean, anyone who saw those really good Sonics teams play knows that Gary Payton was the sidekick to the STAR that was Shawn Kemp. So basically...if Gary Payton makes it, then dammit, Shawn Kemp should be on it. When Seattle went to the Finals against the Bulls (and you KNOW I was watching) they got there on the back of Shawn Kemp.

Gary Payton has played in two NBA Finals. He's had two opportunities to play on the big stage. Once with Seattle in 1996 and once with the Lakers in 2004. And he has not had a memorable performance either time. In fact, not only has he been unremarkable in the Finals, he hasn't SHOWN UP at all. You know who showed up in 1996? Shawn f'n Kemp. You know who showed up in 2004? Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant (he showed up a little too much, if you know what I mean). Now, unless my spelling is really bad, neither of those names is Gary Payton.

You know what we really need? Okay, okay...what I really need? I need to get on one of these TV shows so I can argue these guys down about some of this ridiculous stuff they say. Gary Payton being a great player...Stephon Marbury being a great player...Emmitt Smith being better than Barry Sanders...Cal Ripken, Jr.'s streak being anything other what you're supposed to do...Mike Martz deserving to be a head coach instead of the career offensive coordinator that he is...why Michael Vick never needs to stay in the pocket...So basically, let's do this: let's get me a job on TV or radio or something, where I can tell these fools the way it really is.

You know what's impressive? Christian getting a good match out of Goldberg. Get me a job.

No comments: