Saturday, May 01, 2010

Look, I'm no fan of illegal immigration, mostly because no matter how you spin it, it's still breaking the law. I'm a bigger fan of Mexico trying not to encourage its citizens to flood our borders and "take back" America. Really, if America wanted to line the border with landmines and replace the Rio Grande with an acid lava moat, it would be well within its rights at this point.

But that new law in Arizona, I think, is a bit much. I haven't read the bill or anything, because I don't need any sleep right now, but what I've been able to pick up so far is that cops can basically stop people for being Mexican in an effort to weed out the illegals. They don't need any real reasoning other than the fact that their pickup truck is painted like the Mexican flag and has "HERNANDEZ" plastered across the windshield.

It's pretty fucked up. But it's also ironic in that, the same people who support bills like this are probably the same people who complain about getting searched at airports or football games. I guess it's okay to just randomly stop people when they're not white, right?

No comments: