Sunday, May 06, 2007

Keep Snitchin'

Please…snitch more.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve never understood the “Stop Snitching” Movement. So, you’re telling me that if a person commits a crime right in front of me, I shouldn’t help that person find their rightful jail cell? You’re telling me that they’re somehow right in their actions?

From what I’ve been able to understand, it’s supposed to be a black thing. But I don’t feel that way. No, I don’t entirely trust the cops. THAT is a black thing. But if it comes down to the person that’s selling drugs on my block versus the people who are paid to arrest people who sell drugs on my block, then guess which side I’m siding with?

And I don’t see anything wrong with that. It’s not like the drug dealer is my friend. I’m not telling on him, I’m doing what I can to help my community. I don’t know about that guy’s life and I truly don’t care, because, well…he’s selling drugs. I wasn’t aware that I should be sympathetic. It’s not like he’s doing it to help improve the neighborhood. The money he makes isn’t going back into the community.

Maybe I’m missing the point here.

Of course, there’s the thing about criminals “snitching” on other criminals. Somehow, that’s supposed to be wrong, but let’s look at this: Both sides are doing illegal stuff. Neither side has morals. But there’s supposed to be some kind of honor amongst thieves? Seriously, you shouldn’t be surprised. In fact, how could you not see it coming? Let’s face it, you’re probably not friends and even if you are, how can you really trust someone who robs, steals, or kills for a living? You’re the fool for getting in the mix with him in the first place.

What’s funny is, the “Stop Snitching” Movement was popularized by a series of DVDs and T-Shirts put out by a company called “Let Us Live Entertainment.” That name kills me, because they’re called Let Us Live, but they want to live on the pain and death of others. Why can’t you “Let THEM Live?”

There are people out there wearing these shirts into courtrooms, trying to intimidate witnesses who are testifying against known murderers. Now, I don’t know any murderers, but should you ever kill anyone, your best bet is not to tell me about it. I might tell, I might not, but I will tell you to do the right thing and turn yourself in. However, don’t be surprised if I testify against you. You did wrong. You know you did wrong. You can’t really expect me not to tell what I know. If you were a real friend, you wouldn’t expect me to risk myself to protect you. I would never ask a friend to do that for me. I don’t think a real friend would let a person go on thinking that they’re right for doing something wrong. Maybe it’s because I’m one of those rare people who prefer to know the truth.

Thing is, this disconnect that we have between the cops and black people has nothing to do with criminals and everything to do with the fact that cops in black neighborhoods were not there to protect the citizens. But criminals and hip-hop have taken a justifiable concern and perverted it so they can get over. And they’ve convinced a healthy number of you dumb motherfuckers to act like it’s the right thing to do.

They aren’t united with you. This isn’t a new “black movement.” It’s some dumb shit that’s holding us back as a people. Plain and simple. The drug dealers in your neighborhood don’t give a hell about you. The dude that’s robbing houses don’t give a hell about you. Every black man in jail is NOT a political prisoner or falsely accused. Stupid ass rappers like Cam’ron…I don’t know why you’d listen to him, anyway. First of all, this is a cat that prefers the respect of teenagers to his own peers. Secondly, he said to Anderson Cooper that he wouldn’t rat on a serial killer living next door. He said he’d move.

That shit ain’t noble. Because when the serial killer gets someone at YOUR house, and you find out that Cam’ron knew he was there and moved away instead of telling (his words, not mine), do you really think that you’re gonna be talking all that “Code of the Street” noise then? Do you really believe that you won’t tell the cops that you saw a dude come through your window with an ax and get to swinging? If you won’t, then you’s a stupid motherfucker. We’ll see if you call them when that guy comes back. Meanwhile, Cam’ron has moved, ‘cause he can afford it. Across the hall, you’re wiping up your relatives with paper towels.

Oh, my bad. You can’t clean it up yet, because it’s still fresh evidence.

Fuck the “Stop Snitching” movement.

No comments: