Saturday, June 17, 2006

I watched the World Cup and my remote wasn't broken

Hm...soccer is actually very entertaining. Who knew? I mean, except for the rest of the world.

I spent the early part of my Saturday watching the World Cup and, no, I wasn't being forced at gunpoint. And I actually found myself getting into it. Ghana was playing the Czech Republic and the way I was acting, you'd think have thought my Beloved Bulls were on TV. Obviously, I was pulling for Ghana. Us black folks gotta stick together.

But, Thad....why's it gotta be a racial thing? Well, lemme tell you. For one, I'm not a fan of soccer. Being an American, the only football we know about is the one were you can hit people in the chest at full tilt for daring to run across the middle of the field (I heart Brian Dawkins). So I needed a hook. And basically, anytime black folks overall can have something they can be proud of, it's a good thing. I mean, we can only brag about Michael Jordan and Jay-Z for so long. They're both retired. Eventually, the luster wears off.

And it's a sport that's not really represented too much by us on the world stage. I mean, you could argue for Caribbean countries or Brazil or something like that, but it's not like they really identify with us a whole lot. Cubans flat out insist that they're not black, even though some of them have kinkier hair than I do. So for an African nation to have a good showing in the World Cup, it makes me proud, even knowing some of the stuff I've said about Africa over the years. Because when I look at the TV and see a black face just like mine whooping ass on the world stage...none of that stuff matters anymore. I don't know what it was. I just know that while I was watching that game, I felt a connection with that team from Ghana and I wanted them to win. And it wasn't even the haze from having just woken up that made me feel that way.

It made me proud, as a black man. That's what it all boils down to.

Ahem...but anyway, back to soccer. While I was watching, I began to see why people love this game so much. Man, if you're a basketball fan, you should be able to get into soccer. At least watching the best teams play. It's like watching the best basketball offenses run. If Phoenix actually attempted defense, they could be a soccer team.

I was surprised at how similar it was to basketball. Rotating the ball, clogging the lane, trapping, isolation plays, fancy dribbling, crossovers, alley-oops...it's all there. And then every time the teams finally work the ball inside to get close to the net, it's like a close basketball game with 10 seconds left everytime. So, world, I finally see the appeal. It really is a beautiful game. I still don't understand why killing your teams when they lose is still such a big part of the game, though. I'll just assume that it's a cultural thing that gets lost in translation.

And with so much national pride on the line, it's hard to not get caught up in games like these. When watching the US play against Italy, I was just swelling up with pride. I actually got goosebumps hearing the Americans in the stadium sing the national anthem. I sang along at the end. Yeah, I know. And again, I've talked a lot of shit over the years. And again, none of that mattered at that moment. Those 11 players on the field were representing us. All of US. Even Marcus Beasley, who was pissing me off for STILL not playing that hard. I tell you, if we were in the business of attacking our soccer players, he would be at the top of the list. And while no one will probably know what I'm talking about, those who watched UConn the last couple of years will understand this: Marcus Beasley was giving a Rudy Gay-like performance out there.

But just the fact that he made me angry says a lot. Between watching Ghana and the US play, I just thought about a lot. And I never thought a soccer game would make me think so hard about a lot of things.

With Ghana, I just felt an unity with Africa that I haven't felt in a long, long, time. Hell, I've probably never felt it. I mean, I don't know those people. They sold my ancestors into slavery, for all I know. I was born in Columbus, MS, not Columbus, Africa. But for once, I felt a pull to that continent, so far away. If only for a little while.

With the US, I love my country, don't get me wrong, but a lot of the things it does really piss me off. But that doesn't make me any less patriotic. I liken it to a family member or a friend who's lost their way. You might criticize what they do, but that doesn't make you love them any less. They're still your friend. They're still your family. And because you love them, you criticize them, because you want them to get better. That's how I feel about America. Basically, I want it to fuckin' act right.

Yes, I promise you...two soccer games made me think about all this. I didn't plan it and I don't know why it happened, but it did. But for a day, I was a soccer fan. I probably won't keep watching it, and I probably won't start checking to see who else is in it (I heard Angola was in it, too), but to the African teams that are in it, good luck and kick ass for all of your people over here, too. We're proud of you and if we're not, then we should be. To the US team, we ARE proud of you for not backing down to Italy, one of the best teams iin the world, and doing it with only 9 players for most of the game.

Hell, some people might wonder why we should be happy with a tie. If you had watched the game, you wouldn't be wondering that. Go USA!

No comments: