Thursday, March 19, 2009

I'm still not calling him "Money."


Shocking news: Floyd Mayweather, Jr. is preparing for a return to boxing.

Really?

Like we didn't know this was coming. Floyd Mayweather, who retired in June 2008, is looking to make his return July 11 on HBO, according to sources close to the pint-sized pugilist. This is a complete shocker to people who believe there's a chance that the sun might not come up the next day or look for things to fall in other directions when they drop them. These are the people who were fooled by Michael Jordan's first retirement.

I'm not an expert on acting, but I'm pretty sure that he wasn't going to make a career of anything like that. He wouldn't have been able to handle the life of a wrestler, because that requires things like humility and doing what you're told and we know he's not built for that. And my knees are bruised from my nightly prayers that he wouldn't release a rap CD. I guess he could have been an analyst for one of the networks, but as we've seen from Roy Jones, Jr. over the years, it can be hard to stop talking about yourself.

So that just left a return to boxing, because, let's face it: He's only 32. He's still got a couple of years left before the hand speed and reflexes start to leave him and his last fight was only about 15 months ago, so he's still in good enough shape to get back in the ring. It's not like he's Evander Holyfield, inviting speculation that he's actually going to die in the ring (or maybe that's just my speculation).

Apparently, he's looking to face anyone out there, except Oscar De La Hoya, which makes me wonder. Yeah, he won the fight (split decision), but he retired before they could fight again. That sounds like fear to me. And since there's no chance that he'll fight Big Show for real, we'll have to settle for the rumors that he wants Manny Pacquiao. Good luck with that.

I'd say "welcome back," Floyd Mayweather, but that would mean that I believed you were gone.

No comments: