Friday, March 06, 2009

Rihanna and the online petitions that control her


Today, Rihanna told a judge that she didn't want a temporary restraining order against Chris Brown. Also, the rumor mill says that they are back together. This is proof that celebrities are just like regular people, because she's being just as stupid about all this is the trash you see on daily talk shows.

I don't say that to say that Rihanna is stupid, because those online ads say that her IQ is at least 119. But this is a stupid move and it puts her in the same category as other woman that we call "stupid" or "dumb bitch" when they choose to stay with the man who are beating them. And Rihanna didn't just get abused; people come out of bar fights with less damage than she got. She can never think she's better than anyone, because this proves that she's just like everyone else.

But, hey...if that's what she wants to do, she's mostly grown. You can't tell a 20 year-old anything, and having been 20, I can say that. When you're 20, you think you know everything, without remembering that your main barometer for intelligence is other 20 year-old kids who know just as little as you do. It's like saying you're more attractive than a room full of horribly disfigured people.

Overall, though, I think she'll be alright. I don't think Chris Brown is serial abuser, although I must admit that all I know about him is that he worked over Rihanna pretty good and that "No Air" was a terrible song. He might not hit her again, but why would you want to take that chance? Having said all of that, it's really none of my business, but you know how we loudmouths are: We just can't help ourselves.

I do know that ultimately my words won't mean anything, because Rihanna and Chris Brown don't know me and even if they did, I'm sure my opinion would rank somewhere after the guy who cleaned Rihanna's blood out of that rented Lamborghini. I'm sure she would agree when he says, "Damn, she got fucked up!" But since I'm out of the loop, my opinion simply doesn't matter to them. This is the attitude that the creators of Don't Do It Rihanna should keep in mind.

This is a real website that is built around the idea that the inner workings of Rihanna's life are subject to the same influences as "Dancing With the Stars." People who go here can sign a petition that believes itself to be a legally binding document that can keep Rihanna away from Chris Brown. The tagline actually says, "Sign the petition to keep Rihanna away from Chris Brown." It's great, really. You don't have to get manhandled by security in the VIP to know what's like to get brushed off by Rihanna. All of her disdain in the comfort of your very own home.

I understand the intent behind it, but maybe it's the firm language that makes me laugh. The site is determined to be taken seriously, but at the same time, online petitions aren't legally binding in any way and I don't even think one has ever been useful in a worthy cause. Let's face it: online petitions couldn't even get people to think about impeaching George W. Bush and he's, quite possibly, a war criminal and for at least four years, wasn't even the real President.

I understand that her fans want to show her some support, because as abuse victims can tell you, once you go back with a guy who's split your lip, it's just a matter of time before your forehead is going through the coffee table. You just never really know how these things will go. But this is a complete waste of time. She's not going to seriously consider the contents of this site. Her life, or anyone else's, is not up for public debate. If it was, we wouldn't have so many fat women in halter tops and visible thongs in the summertime. We all know that that there has been a ton of "public debate" on that, and it hasn't changed anything, despite the benefits for the "greater good."

If you really want to help Rihanna, knowing her on a personal level would help. And seeing how she doesn't seem to even be listening to people close to her on this, what good is the petition going to do? It's a deeply personal matter and I don't remember any part of her public statements that said, "I welcome your unsolicited advice on how I should handle this situation." I know people care, but the reality is that all we can do is pray for her, if you're a spiritual person. Do that instead, so you can get back to getting laid off from your jobs with a clear mind.

No comments: