Thursday, September 10, 2009

Don't make the man WANT to hit you

Is there ever a time when smacking a woman is okay?

Crazy question, I know, but it's one that seems to keep coming up. After all, it's something that has touched us all in one way or another, whether we've actually been involved in it somehow, we've talked to a friend or relative who's done it, or because celebrities just can't keep from punching each other. Everyone has a viewpoint on this. I don't think there's anyone in the world who doesn't have an opinion on whether or not it's okay to hit your girl with a ridge hand to the bridge of her nose.

I was raised to believe that you should never hit a woman. It wasn't anything that my dad and I talked about, because it's not like I had a problem with going around smacking women (except in eighth grade, when I kept smacking a girl I liked on her ass. He still doesn't know I did this, and mostly like won't, because he doesn't read me). But just through the power of observation, I learned not to do it. I never saw my dad hit my mother. I've never even seen my parents argue. The only person I ever saw him hit was us (his kids), it was with a belt, and we had it coming (Okay. I got it. I shouldn't drink water out of puddles in the street).

So, I believe that hitting women is wrong. Let's face it: Women, generally speaking, are not as strong as men, and for all that talk about women having a higher pain tolerance, you can play-fight with a woman and her knees will buckle like Mike Tyson blasted her across the face with a lead pipe. We can't hit women, for one, because it's about as fair as hitting a sleeping hobo.

Not only that, men are supposed to want to protect women. When you find someone you really love, when it goes down, you put that person before yourself. Now, if you're beating your woman in the face every night, the only way you can protect her is to stop hitting her. If you're a full blown abuser, you won't wanna do anything that fucking dumb. She might start feeling good about herself and leave. Then, what are you supposed to punch?

But there are those times when women are practically begging the man to punch her in the fucking face. I don't know why some women do those things. I know some women don't believe that their man will hit them, so that gives them free license not to shut the fuck up. They'll call the man a "bitch" if he doesn't hit her, but he's a "bitch" if he does. I know some women might want to get their man locked up and sully his name forever, because that's something that never goes away. Maybe the woman never learned that a man can break a woman's jaw without even knowing how to punch, and she won't ever see where she went wrong until she slaps her man across the face. Either way, these women are goading their men into doing it. I'm not giving them a pass or anything, because the man still shouldn't hit the woman...but something needs to be said to these women who are bringing it on themselves.

I'm not talking about the serial abuser who hits his girl "because he loves her." That dude's got anger management problems and will probably be found shirtless and tasered in his front yard at some point. I'm talking about the guy whose girl is purposely pressing his buttons until his frustrations overtake his common sense.

I say again, it's NEVER okay for a man to hit a woman (unless she's got a knife or a gun, in which case, if you think I'm wrong, fuck you). This is pretty much a common truth that can't ever be disputed.

What isn't a common truth is that women are fucking angels who a blameless in all fist-to-face situations. See, getting run over by a truck is wrong, too, but that doesn't mean that you should stand in front of one and dare it to hit you. That's what we're talking about here.

Despite the fact that women are good at shouting dissent into submission (not because the logic is air tight, but because men just want women to shut the fuck up), this simply isn't true. We really need to get past the idea that men are always at fault for everything. I remember hearing about some woman who stole thousands of dollars of her husband's money that was intended for their kid's private school, and when he decided to divorce and sue her, one of my idiot co-workers said that it wasn't stealing because they were married and it was her money, too. This is the same woman who once said that Central and South America are part of the United States of America because they all have "America" in the name.

Now, if that guy had punched his woman, I can't say that he was entirely wrong. I mean, he would have been wrong, but wrong in the same way that speeding or insulting BET employees is wrong. Sure, there was probably a better way to handle it, but it's not like they didn't have it coming. You'll say all the right things out loud, but in your head, you're thinking, "...but I understand."

We all know those women. The ones that we look at and think, "It's just a matter of time before some man tees off on her eye socket." And then, when it actually happens, we pretend to be shocked and condemn that man, all the while forgetting that eight-month transition period where she drove him to drink. Yeah, punching is wrong, but fuck me, so is nagging. It must be bad if even the Bible tells you that a man "would rather live on the roof than come home to a nagging wife." Yeah, women don't like getting punched, but nagging is like "verbal punching" to men. And since we don't use words too well, we resort to using fists. Think of it as "words that you can feel."

We don't think about that when a guy snaps. There's no TV show about guys who got fed up and heart punched his wife, unless you count "Cops." All we see is the pictures on TMZ.com. And just like that, he's gotta go through life hearing strangers preaching that he'll do it again. Meanwhile, the woman he used to be with is stressing out some other man until he's faced with that inevitable choice: Ruining his life by destroying his liver or ruining his life by making her swallow some teeth.

Situations take on a whole new perspective when they're looked at through that light. It doesn't let the guy off the hook, because HITTING WOMEN IS WRONG, but it does point out the woman's own role in her getting that ass whooped. Yes, ladies...he should keep his hands to himself, but next time he refuses to argue with you and leaves the room in protest, maybe you should just let him leave instead of following behind him. Being right isn't worth a broken orbital bone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cleverly written. I must say, as a 26 year old BLACK woman, this subject is gray for me. I also was raised knowing that a man is to never put his hands on a woman. But I recall too many times in elementary school, getting punched in my arm by dysfunctional 2nd grade boys whose ideas of showing affection was sending me home with a purple arm. I'm light toned. Any who---besides the occasional schoolyard abuse, I can't say I ever was a victim of domestic violence...up until a couple nights ago. Now first, let me give a little background about myself---in all fairness, I can be A LOT to deal with. I have a very smart mouth. Not just because I speak intelligently, but I can make most people cry if provoked from simply tearing them down with my words. I'm not proud of this, because I am using my tongue as a sword. Well, a good guy friend of mines who I recently have started living with---and I have been ensued in a week-long power struggle. Let's just say, becoming intimate with your friend of 3 years, a day prior to moving into an apartment isn't smart. Well, I said some mean things. I called him a bitch ass nigga and a bitch. Now before your eyebrows raise....any further, I didn't call him those both on the same night and I immediately apologized after each account which he still threw in my face as disrespect though I sincerely apologized. The former derogatory term was used in PURE playfulness, I swear. Maybe it was rooted in some deepened animosity, but when I said it---we were joking about something. So it wasn't like, I said it in the heat of an argument. Now, when I called him a bitch---I was drunk and admittedly annoyed by his behavior that night. He had been openly flirting with women in MY car, in MY face all night and I had reached my boiling point. Along with that, he had been "playfully" smooching my head. Meaning, every time I said something---he didn't like, he would physically push me upside my head. I told him, repeatedly to stop that shit. I have a BAD temper. Well, on the way home---he did it like for the 14th time that evening, and my reflexes took over and I slapped the shit out of him. He was in shock. So, we ended up pulling the car over and getting into a slap boxing fight where he slapped my ass back. It was ugly. Also for more details. I stand about a buck fifty/sixty (150-160 lbs.) at 5'4. Carrying most of that weight in my lower region.He is about 130 soaking wet. So, maybe I did use his size comparatively to my advantage. But I digress, I was so mad that he hit me back because I felt within my right to slap his silly as after he had been smooching me all night. Well the moral of my story is---I previously said this was my first domestic violence experience, but honestly, I don't feel it was that. Truthfully, it was the same thing that would have happened if he was a woman. And that doesn't get called "domestic violence" that's just called having a scrap.