Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Cynicism and Scooter Libby

Scooter Libby's not going to jail? That caught me off guard about as much as the sun coming up or Britney Spears being caught outdoors without hair and/or panties.

How cynical have I become when I'm not the least bit fazed that our openly corrupt president has commuted the sentence of one of his friends? And not just any friend. It was the friend who ratted out the name of one our own spies. I know I'm not that smart, but I'm pretty sure that's a national security issue. And since I don't have any friends that can get me off from a charge that should have seen me on the business end of a firing squad, clearly I'm not sucking the right dick.

I guess it just shows how little faith I have in our system, when we have a president who tells us that we can expose spies without fear of jail time, or any real punishment (because when you're rich, what's a $250,000 fine?). But only if you're a friend of Bush or Cheney. And that's how I know he has money, because who ever heard of a Bush hobnobbing with the common folk? He doesn't understand the language of people with short money.

Hell, Cheney barely even acknowledges people in general. And whenever he does, he's probably telling us something about how he doesn't have to answer to the American people or "I'm not really a part of the Executive Branch." You know, the kind of stuff that makes a mockery of our government. How has someone not shot this man yet? Do I have to do everything?

I suppose I should take solace in the fact that the trial of Scooter Libby was even allowed to take place. And there's something to be said for the fact that not only was the trial completed, Libby was sentenced and they actually used to words "jail" and "Libby" in the same sentence without adding "not going." It was kind of like the ending to "The Usual Suspects," where they pretty much telegraph who Keyser Soze is, but at the last second, make you disbelieve that you know what you thought you already knew, before throwing what you knew right back at you. If that didn't make any sense, that's okay, because neither is the fact that Scooter Libby is still a free man.

And it doesn't end there, because there's still the off-chance that Libby could end up getting completely pardoned. And if that happens...I would like to believe that there would be some sort of outrage. But no one will care. Most people don't even know this has happened. Hell, if the riot I predicted for three-dollar gas never came true, I doubt that people will even notice that another Bush-boy got off. Karl Rove is pretty much bulletproof and he's far more slimy. Scooter Libby is just Dick Cheney's latest fall guy.

Kinda like how Greg Anderson took the fall for Barry Bonds. I'm sure there's a few million sitting in a bank somewhere for both of them.

No comments: