Saturday, September 22, 2007

More BS From Jena

Below is a message that a friend of mine has posted, regarding a country music station in Jena, LA and an incident that allegedly occurred the morning of the march. I don't know if it's true or not, because I haven't been able to find any word on it elsewhere, but if it is, please send me what you have, so I can read up on it. I did e-mail the station as a precautionary measure, however. You can read it below, after the links and e-mail addresses.

TM

Racist "Watermelon" Remark from KLAA
FM 103.5 Radio Station

The incident occurred on their morning show the morning of the Jena 6 Protest March.
A radio station broadcaster in JENA on 103.5 KLAA a country station - said "the only business that will succeed today will be a "watermelon stand" as he and the others chuckled."

Everyone please email or call and complain about the Racist Remarks
on the Thursday Morning Show (9/20/07).

Here's the station information:

KLAA – FM 103.5
"Louisiana Country"
Opus Broadcasting of Alexandria, LLC
92 West Shamrock Street
Pineville, LA 71360
Ph: (318) 487-1035
Fax: (318) 487-4419

Email: MCarson@opusbroadcasting.com
Website: http://www.la103.com/home.php

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To whom it may concern,

I have been hearing that one of your broadcasters made a racial comment about black people on the air on the morning on September 20. Words to the effect of "all black people love watermelon."

Now, I don't know if this is true, because, being black, I'm allergic to country music. I have no way to verify this as of yet, but it's merely a matter of time before I, or someone with a much bigger mouth, does verify it.

You know what was said that morning, so you (or whoever is in charge there) needs to do what you know is right: Fire that person. Racially speaking, this simply isn't the time for people to be making comments such as these. I have no problem with the person in question being a racist, because everyone has a right to be ignorant, but he doesn't need to be on the air if he's going to espouse such views about black people at such a tense time.

I don't want an apology, because you and I both know that he won't mean it.

Now, if I am mistaken, then by all means, accept my apology for making such accusations. It is a sincere apology, because I, unlike the white power structure in Jena, am able to accept when I have wronged someone and am not afraid to make it right. But if this did happen, you know what you need to do. I'm sure you don't want your town overrun with black people again, because it's obvious that you don't like us down there. Why would you risk inciting black people and making us come back down there AGAIN?

Thank you for your time.

Thad Martin
Stone Mountain, GA

No comments: