Thursday, September 20, 2007

An Overview of September 20

Yesterday, the Jena 6 Rally went off without a hitch. I haven't heard any news about black people acting up, which really makes me feel good. I wish I could say the same about everybody.

I spent a good portion of the day defending the Jena 6 from white people who didn't seem to understand what the big deal was. They made points that basically said "it's not like these boys didn't commit a crime. Just because nooses were hung doesn't mean that they should beat up white people." And that would be a valid point if that's what was going on.

After informing these people that we also believe they deserve punishment, just not punishment that compares to what murderers and rapists get, I had to stress the chain of events that led to this boy getting his eye swollen. I had to stress the meaning of a noose in our society. White people don't understand this because there is no white equivalent to the noose, or the Klan robes, the burning cross, or the word "nigger." You say you understand, but you don't really understand. Nothing like that has ever happened to you. Your race has never been made to feel like outsiders in the land of their birth. I can't expect you to understand, but I can expect you to understand this: You can't believe that black people are always going to be civil when there are white people constantly harassing and attacking them. It's easy to judge us for reacting when it's never happened to you.

Having said that, I was proud of my people for showing their restraint when two white teens decided to drive around Alexandria, LA last night with nooses hanging from the back of their truck. An estimated 200 people stood by and watched these boys get arrested, most of whom were black. It would have been very easy for someone to throw something at that truck, get those white boys out and beat them until they loved black people. Again, that wasn't a "youthful prank." There was a set of brass knuckles in the truck and they were trying to start trouble. It would have been nice for them to find it.

It was later revealed that the driver said that he and his family are members of the Ku Klux Klan. Time will tell if any of the charges against this boy stand.

Other than that, the day seemed to go well. Well, not 100% well.

Fox News managed to not know about anything that was going on in Louisiana. I personally monitored their coverage and Jena didn't get a single mention until 6:10 PM. CNN talked about it, but even their coverage wasn't perfect. They referred to the boys as the "So-Called Jena 6." None of the speeches were televised during the day, and the stories were told mostly through the eyes of the white reporters. Tony Harris was there, but he wasn't allowed to say what he REALLY thought about anything. He wasn't even allowed to wear all black until after his anchoring duties were done for the day.

As a result, I e-mailed both Fox News and CNN to let them know what I thought. I suggest you do the same. I also e-mailed Fox News pundit Armstrong Williams to get his comments on Fox News' apparent lack of concern for his people. I have yet to receive a response. I'm almost hoping he'll come at me wrong, because I've been itching to call someone a "boot-licking Uncle Tom" lately.

I'll bet if we were Mexican, Fox News would have covered it.

And of course, there was President Bush's press conference that happened at the same time the rally coverage was getting going. Some people might think it was a coincidence, but being a disciple of "Conspiracy Brother," I believe it was done on purpose. Doesn't the President normally do things like this on Wednesday nights, not Thursday mornings?

But all in all, the day went well. Like I said, no incidents (except the one perpetrated by a white person), no embarrassments (I don't remember Jesse getting much TV time), and I did see a lot of black people wearing black. I don't know how many of them were wearing it out of protest and how many just dressed in the dark, but there was a good number of black people supporting the Jena 6, even if it was by accident. In other news, I met Dominique Wilkins in the post office, and he wasn't one of them. For shame, 'Nique. I would have told you as much if I wasn't trying to keep myself from telling you stories about how I still hate Pete Babcock.

No comments: