Monday, June 10, 2013

I'm going to post fiction. Just not today.

Believe it or not, I'd like to write more than just blogs. 

I mean, I get a kick out of it and I'd slice at least two or three of your throats to get a paying gig doing this, because cable customers (yourselves included) are some of the most horrible people on earth.  But there are other things that go through my mind, and I'd like to get some of them down on paper.  I'm forever coming up with short stories, comic book ideas, movies, and who knows what else.  Some of them, I actually get to explore, but most of them remain unfinished, in my notebook. 

The purpose of the blog, at least for the time being, has been to develop some sort of discipline when it comes to writing.  I've asked all of you to help keep me on task, and some of you have really jumped on board with that.  I thank you.  But that's why some of these blogs have been  really, really shitty.  Writers are supposed to write, even when they have nothing to say.  In the past, I just wouldn't have written anything that day.  Or I might have written something that I wouldn't post.  My blog is littered with the remains of unfinished blogs about whatever half-baked thought I had that day.

I'm trying to get past all of that.  Not the blogs, those are fun.  I'm talking about the hangups I have about my own work, and my lack of discipline.  And at some point, what I'd like to do is actually post short stories on here sometimes, or at least excerpts of longer stories that I've worked on.  But I'll be honest with you, that idea scares the shit out of me.  It's one thing for me to post these silly blogs about something I read in the news.  It's another thing entirely to expose something that personal to the world.

I've shared a few things I've written in the past, and it was nervewracking to do that when I have.  I felt I needed the feedback, though.  I needed to know that someone thought I was good.  It's different from this blog, because when I started it, I was doing it for me.  Eventually, some people would tell me that I was good.  Even though I didn't write anywhere else but here (I did land spots at Collocue.com and  BlackSportsOnline.com once, though), I could see the improvement I was making.  Seriously, go back read the early blogs.  But only if you're ready to go to sleep. 

So, since I've started getting somewhat personal and serious in the blog since i began writing in it again, this is the next thing I'm putting out there.  I'm going to post something I've written one day.  I don't know when or what it will be, but just that I'm going to get brave and do it.  I'm not saying that this blog is going to become a space for fiction, because let's face it: At some point, Justin Bieber is going to do something that requires me to insult him and won't be able to help myself.  I usually save that stuff for Twitter, but he's begging for people to go in on him, and I don't want to let him down.  Follow me @ThadOchocinco, by the way.

I just have other things I want to write about and I'm going to do it here, as a test run.  I'm declaring it right now.  I just have to build up the courage first.

No comments: