Sunday, June 09, 2013

This wiretapping bullshit

Everyone seems to be losing their shit over this NSA wiretapping thing.  I guess no one wants the government to listen to their phone sex sessions.  I should be bothered by this more than I am, I guess.  But I'm not.  Not really.  I mean, I saw this story already.  They did it on The Wire. 

They collected numbers and saw who folks were calling.  That kind of stuff.  Once they had reason to suspect someone was doing something, they got a warrant and listened to the pay phones.  So unless you're calling terrorists overseas, they're probably not even going to care who you're calling, let alone ever listen to your calls. 

Yes, they could do it at anytime.  But for what?  Do you know what you people talk about most of the time?  I promise you, your conversation about what happened on Scandal isn't going to help the government catch terrorists.  Your boyfriend probably doesn't want to listen to you talk about that bitch at work that you can't stand.  I doubt some intelligence analyst will be able to put up with it for longer than 15 or 20 minutes.  And let's not act like you people are really concerned about who's listening to your phone calls.  I listen to your phone calls all the time, in the store, when you're talking all loud about your personal business.  I didn't even need a wiretap to know that you're about to get evicted or that you stole $200 from your aunt. 

I'm not blaming President Obama for this, either, because it started before him, and it will continue after he's gone.  I guess he probably doesn't have to do it, but you'll all be mad as hell if you find out that something happened that could have been stopped by collecting phone numbers. I'm not saying I trust what the government is up to at all times, but think about what happens in the government.  Think about all of the stupid shit that these fuckers get caught doing.  The same government that gave Mexican drug lords guns and didn't put in trackers that lasted more than three months is the same one you're all worried about using health coverage and phone records to impose a totalitarian regime. 

If anything, be afraid of corporations doing shit.  They'll do anything to keep you spending money on their stuff.  The government needs you to have a certain level of productivity so they can keep collecting tax money.  Sure, they could turn on the people, but it's really not that likely. 

And even if they do, what are you really going to do about it?  I don't think you can do anything to prevent a drone strike. 

No comments: